I feel reassured knowing that nothing in my past matters today. I can start fresh in this moment to create a new today. I don’t have to worry about what I did or didn’t do yesterday, because I can choose now to make my life exactly what I want it to be. I’m not going to regret anything. I’m not going to dwell on my mistakes. I’m going to focus on this moment only, because it’s the only moment that matters. I’m ready to tell a new story! A story where I’m worthy of all of it! A story where I’m happy and content with my life as it is, but so ready for more! The past doesn’t own me anymore. My today is where magic happens. I can begin again, fresh, new, ready! Tell your story as you want it to be! And it can be whatever you desire!
I’m usually an inspirational, “change your thoughts, change your life” kind of gal, but I’m also a teacher, and sometimes I just have to share what I believe are important things for parents to remember. Let’s face it, we’re all trying to do the best that we can, but life inevitably gets crazy at some point, especially when our children are school age.
Being a kindergarten teacher, I often see children ill prepared for the day they are about to embark on. For a wee little body and mind, they depend on us to equip them with tools to allow a happy, successful day. I want to share my thoughts about how a busy, overwhelmed parent can make their day and their child’s day go a little smoother!
1. Sleep! Make sure your child gets a good sleep. This is an obvious one, and sometimes one that’s not so easy to accomplish, but it absolutely is the most important thing on this list. Starting with a consistent bedtime routine, preparing your child for sleep should be a calm, loving experience for both of you. Consistency is the key! Too often, we give up when we just want peace more than anything, but persistence will eventually give you the results you want. Children crave routine. Your bedtime experience will be less chaotic if you create a routine that your child looks forward to. I also believe that it’s never too early to start meditating. Whatever your routine looks like, make sure it’s one that both of you enjoy. Make sure it’s relaxing rather than frantic, and it’s most likely going to look different for everyone. Design it tailor made for you and your child.
2. Wake up time! Please don’t go screaming into your child’s room yelling at them to get up because you’ve slept in and now will be late for work and school. Having a morning wake up routine is just as important as a bedtime routine. If you wake up late, grumpy, and dreading the day, so will your child. Make sure you have enough time to make the morning a happy experience. A happy parent equals a happy child! The drive or walk to school should be light and fun too. Sing songs, tell stories, or try my favourite, visualize your day. Have your child explain their perfect day to you. Then reinforce to them that it’s possible for their day to turn out exactly as they want it to. Don’t forget to tell them how much you love and believe in them before you say goodbye. This positive interaction will stay with them all day.
3. Healthy food! I really should have put this one in capital letters and underlined it. All too often (usually because we’ve done what I said not to do at the beginning of #2) we send our children to school without a proper, nutritious meal to start their day. And then we send them with a lunch that we’ve thrown together from a convenience store! Don’t take offence to this, we all are allowed to have a day or even several days where we just don’t have our lives together, (and Tim Hortons or 7-11 is on the way to school. Been there, done that) but if we want to give our children successful, happy days at school, we have to get it together more often than not. Preparing meals the night before can be be a huge time, and life saver. Remember that little minds work better when they are nourished properly.
Ok, so those are my top 3 gentle suggestions for a successful, happy day at school. These apply to young and old alike, however if we begin as early as possible in our child’s life with a routine, keep it fun and light, and consistent, the school day will be a breeze! Of course there will always be those days when you want to run away and hide in the mountains because you JUST CAN’T DO IT ANYMORE! That’s ok! I won’t tell anyone where you are!
1. Stop putting unrealistic expectations on others! It’s not their job to live up to standards that you’ve set for them. Set yourself free by letting them off the hook. Focus on your own life instead.
2. Stop believing that others are going to have the same values as you! They don’t! And when you expect them to, it causes you to judge them for something you can’t control. How insane is that? That brings me to the third thing you must stop doing.
3. Stop judging! This is a big one, and we’re all guilty of doing it, but if you want any chance for happiness, you must STOP judging! That includes yourself. When you judge others, you’re in essence judging yourself. It all comes back to you. Judging puts you in a place of self righteousness, which will eventually make you feel less than because it puts you in a place of comparison.
4. Stop comparing yourself to others! You are one of a kind! A star! No one else will ever be you. And that fact alone should be celebrated each and everyday!
5. Stop complaining! Please! No one likes a complainer, and it’s not bringing anything good into your life. If you only knew that complaining was bringing you more of what you’re complaining about, you would stop immediately. Start talking about what’s good in your life instead! Start appreciating the amazing life you have and watch it become even better.
6. Stop worrying! Like complaining, it only creates more things to worry about. Worry is such a useless, draining emotion, and serves no purpose! When you catch yourself worrying, change your thought to something that makes you happy. In time you will become good at changing your thoughts to happy ones. Happy thoughts equals happy life.
7. Last one! Stop being so hard on yourself! You are an incredible human doing the best you can. Praise yourself daily, hourly if possible. Become so in love with you, that you will always put yourself first. It’s not selfish, it’s necessary!
You have one life! One life to love and laugh. To feel joy. Are you making it the best life? Most go through life on automatic pilot, not knowing how to live any other way. Listening to others to make important decisions. Regarding other opinions more valuable than their own. Life is sometimes set up for you without your approval, and then you fall into a trap by living a life you had no say in. You forget that you have a say, a voice that you've forgotten to listen to. Your inner being is patiently waiting for you to listen. It's time to take back your life! It's time to make choices that resonate within you. Deep inside there is a fire that has gone out. Your inner being knows it's there. It's time to recapture what you are here for. Begin to live with joy in your heart, regardless of what your responsibilities are, (and let's face it, we can't just drop everything and run off to an exotic locale to sell baskets on the beach). Living joyfully, with purpose, will allow the ordinary to become extraordinary! But, there's a catch. You have to make a conscious effort each day to live in joy. You need to wake up and affirm that this day will be wonderful, that you will be happy. You can't wait for your day to unfold and then decide if it was a happy day or not. YOU have to make the choice before you get out of that bed, to live this day in joy. It doesn't just happen. Choose to appreciate everything, and you will awaken the joy, the fire within, and you will begin to live on purpose. You will no longer live by default. I'm a believer in how we live is what we live. If you live joyfully, you'll automatically be given more things and circumstances to enjoy. Stop waiting for outside things to make you happy. Be happy and joyful first, and watch how your life changes!
Everyone has some kind of toxic element in their lives. People, diet, job, or a combination of all three and more can contribute to the feeling of unwell and despair within. We carry around resentment, anger, sadness, but we don’t know why these afflictions are with us day after day. The possibility that there may be another way of living never enters our minds when we’re deep in the negativity that we believe is bestowed upon us. Or if we do know a better way, we continue to live with toxins because we’re too afraid to change. But, we don’t have to let it consume us. We don’t have to allow it to cover our light. We have a choice to rid our lives of the toxic elements that bring us down. There is always a choice, although it often seems difficult to make the decision to get rid of the elements that are causing the distress. Choosing to let go of people, jobs, habits, whatever the cause may be, will lift the toxins out of your soul. Remember the necessity for your health and well being as you let go. It will become easier. It will feel good. You will feel lighter. As the toxins leave your body, your life, and your spirit, you will wonder why you didn’t rid yourself of them sooner. Remember that you are in charge of your joy, and when toxic situations invade your life, it’s your right to let them go immediately. Life is meant to be lived in joy! Blessings for a peaceful, non-toxic day!
There will be times when others will have an opinion about how you live your life, how you do your job, or how you raise your kids. You need to have the courage to look past those opinions and do what’s best for you. Just remember those opinions are a reflection of their beliefs, not yours. Stay in your own light and listen to your voice. It’s the only one that matters.
When we allow our minds to conjure up worst case scenarios, we are creating the worst case experiences. When we focus on fear, fearful situations appear in our lives as if by chance, and then we place blame on outside circumstances, when all along it was our own thinking that went astray.